Human Trafficking Awareness and Prostitution Related Matters
Johnson and Martinez continue their dedication to work on behalf of victims of abuse and sexual exploitation.
Ann Johnson is a nationally recognized expert in Human Trafficking providing testimony before the United States Congress, training to Local, State and Federal Law Enforcement officers and the Judiciary.
Ana Martinez spent the last few years at the Harris County District Attorney's Office prosecuting and working with law enforcement to combat Human Trafficking to better identify victims and prosecute exploiters.
Johnson Martinez understands the complexities of Texas Law and the difficult challenges victims face. We are here to fight for you and your best interest.
Prosecution and Related Defenses
Many have been charged, jailed and convicted of offenses, which might be conduct one committed because of their status as a human trafficking victim. Recently, the Texas Legislature has begun to see the need to right these wrongs. If you have questions about whether this help applies to you, please call us for a free consultation. We are here to fight for you and your interest.
Human Trafficking Awareness Training and Consultation
For nearly a decade, Ann has been recognized as an expert in Texas Law for the protection of victims of human trafficking. Her passion and knowledge started with the representation of a 13-year old child charged with prostitution. This led to a case of first impression, the foundation of law protecting child victims. In addition to being a founding member of prostitution related problem solving courts, Ann started and developed the Human Trafficking Section for the Harris County District Attorney's Office from February 2013 until January 2017.
Ana Martinez was the first prosecutor brought on to expand the local prosecution efforts to better combat human trafficking. Martinez' knowledge of international law and the cultural challenges of international victims made her an invaluable asset to the Human Trafficking Section.
The efforts of their team along with law enforcement and public and private partnerships resulted in a more balanced attack of better identifying victims, and increased prosecution of Pimps and Johns.
Johnson and Martinez continue to provide training and assistance, upon request, for public and private partners in the fight to identify and assist victims of human trafficking.
Human Trafficking Related Lectures and Presentations
- Human Trafficking Awareness and How to Better Identify Victims of Sexual Exploitation in the Criminal Justice System, Texas Association of Specialty Courts Annual Training Conference, Bastrop, Texas, April 2017 (Johnson)
- Technology Related Crimes Against Children Conference, National Center for Missing and Exploited Children, Panelist, Houston Children's Assessment Center, December 2016 (Johnson)
- Human Trafficking Awareness and How to Better Identify Sexual Exploitation Victims, Reintegration Court Training, Houston, October 2016 (Johnson)
- Evidence-Based Strategies For Prosecutors: Prostitution Diversion Program (SAFE Court) Harris County District Attorney's Office Houston, Texas. Bureau of Justice Assistance, Smart Suite Summit, Arlington, Virginia, September 2016 (Johnson)
- Traffickers/Victims and the Courtroom - What Can Judges/Attorneys Do?, Panelist, South Carolina Human Trafficking Summit, August 2016 (Johnson)
- How Texas Treats Victims of Human Trafficking and Sexual Exploitation, Texas Judicial Conference, Houston, May 2016 (Johnson)
- Coalition Build in Houston, Panelist, Truckers Against Trafficking, March 2016 (Johnson)
- How to Prosecute Human Traffickers and Ethical Considerations, 6th Annual Houston Human Trafficking Conference, January 2016 (Johnson)
- Innovative Strategies to Address Human Trafficking by Courts and Communities: Trial Courts, Task Forces and Law Enforcement, Moderator, National Summit on Human Trafficking and the State Courts, New York, October 2015 (Johnson)
- Texas Law and Investigative Tools, Human Trafficking Training, Houston Police Department, September 2015 (Johnson)
- SAFE Court and Ethical Considerations, Human Trafficking Training for Law Enforcement and Prosecutors, Harris County District Attorney's Office, June 2015 (Martinez)
- Human Trafficking and Prosecution Overview, Human Trafficking Training for Law Enforcement and Prosecutors, Harris County District Attorney's Office, June 2015 (Johnson)
- Human Trafficking, State and Federal Presentation, 120th County and District Clerks Association of Texas Conference, Houston, June 2015 (Johnson)
- Human Trafficking and How Texas Treats Victims of Sexual Exploitation, Texas Child Welfare Judges Conference, Texas Center for the Judiciary, Austin, June 2015 (Johnson)
- Free The Captives, 5th Annual Houston Human Trafficking Conference , Speaker, February 2015 (Johnson)
- How the Court Assist Victims, Understanding The Invisible Chains of Human Trafficking, Thurgood Marshall School of Law, October 2014 (Johnson)
- Human Trafficking Law Symposium, Speaker, Free The Captives Houston, October 2013 (Johnson)
- Human Trafficking, Panelist, Congressional Black Caucus Annual Legislative Conference, Washington DC, September 2013 (Johnson)
- State and Local Judiciary and Legislative Effects on the Scope of Human Trafficking, Domestic Juvenile Human Trafficking Round Table Discussion, Human Trafficking Rescue Alliance, Southern District of Texas, March 2013 (Johnson)
- How Texas Treats Victims of Sexual Exploitation: The Texas Family and Penal Code, American Bar Association, February 2013 (Johnson)
- In re B.W.; Juveniles and Human Trafficking; Ethical Considerations at 2nd Annual Juvenile Law Conference, Houston Bar Association, September 2011. (Johnson)
- How Texas Treats Victims of Sexual Exploitation: The Texas Family and Penal Code, 24th Annual Juvenile Law Conference, February 2011 (Johnson)
- How Texas Treats Victims of Sexual Exploitation: The Texas Family and Penal Code before The Texas Center for the Judiciary, June 2011 (Johnson)
- Sen. Leticia Van De Putte - San Antonio Human Trafficking Summit, Panelist, October 2010 (Johnson)
- The Legal Conflicts Inherent in Serving Human Trafficking Victims at Vinson & Elkins LLP, Children at Risk, October 2010 (Johnson)